Megan Gill
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP language
1 July 2013
Men
versus Women
Everyone is
entitled to their own opinions of women and men. This does not mean
that they are always correct and it does not mean that they are
always incorrect. I was not extremely effected by Aristotle's view on
women. He lived in a different time when most everyone thought in
this way. It will never really effect me if someone were to say that
a whole gender is less than another gender. This does not mean that I
do not care that he thought this way. I will never like that anyone
thinks less of women than men because we are just as smart and
powerful. It is only one man's opinion and I will not let that bring
me down or make me feel like I am worth less than a man. I know I am
strong and I know that I am smart and that is all that truly matters.
No woman should think less of themselves because a man told them they
were.
Aristotle was seen
as being a strong figure during this time. He was smart and used his
brain to the best of its ability. It is a shame that he thought so
lowly of one specific gender. How could someone that was so very
smart be so naïve and think so little. If he would have believed
differently maybe after that it could have been different for the
women of that time. Aristotle could have influenced the world at that
time. He was a strong educator that could have persuaded the people
he was teaching to think differently. Instead he chose to think
little of women and influence the world negatively. It must have been
hard for the women of that time.
The only
philosopher to think that men and women were more equal was Plato.
Therefor, I feel that he provided the best answers to questions about
gender. In my mind women can work just as well, if not better, than
men. In our world today, women are hired just as often as men and
hold the same jobs. Women think well and perform even better. This is
why car insurance is less for women than it is for men. We are
careful and tend to take our jobs more seriously than the opposite
sex. I am not saying that women are better, because we are not. Men
and women were made equal in the eyes of God, and that is exactly how
Plato thought. Men and women, in my eyes, are equal. If a woman wants
to do something then she should try to the best of her ability to do
so. No woman should hold back because they are in fact a female.
It does not bother
me that most of the authorities in this book were men. Again, this
was in another time period. Women were not seen as authoritative
individuals. If Aristotle would have thought differently maybe he
could have encouraged more females to become philosophers and they
could have taught other women this. But he did not think this way and
nothing was changed for the better, if anything, it changed for the
worst because Aristotle was seen as such a strong figure. Women were
forced to stay out of the light, they were not equals back then. As
time went on more and more women were introduced into the world as
authorities and now, today, we are seen more as equal. I am just
thankful that I did not have to live during such a hard time for
women.
The battle of the
sexes has been going on for hundreds of years and I do not think that
it will ever quite go away completely. Men will always have their
jokes about women needing to make them a sandwich or stay in the
kitchen. More and more women are being seen as strong and powerful
individuals. Maybe in the future the majority of the people on the
planet will begin to believe that we are all equal and that women
can do just as well as men at anything they do. We will just have to
wait and see.
Good opening. A lot of what you stated I think as well. You had some spelling errors/convention issues throughout. 19/20
ReplyDelete